Unum’s group accident insurance can pay lump-sum benefits based on an injury you receive and the treatment you need, such as X-rays, emergency room care and related surgery. The benefit can help offset the out-of-pocket expenses that medical insurance does not pay, including deductibles and copays. You may apply for enrollment or drop coverage at any time.
The list of covered injuries includes: broken bones, burns, torn ligaments, cuts repaired by stitches, coma due to a covered injury, eye injuries, ruptured discs and concussion.
Some covered expenses include: emergency room treatment, outpatient surgery facility, doctor office visit, hospitalization, occupational therapy, speech therapy, physical therapy and chiropractic visits.
The schedule of benefits includes a full list of covered injuries and expenses. Coverage begins
on the first of the month in which you have your first payroll deduction for premiums.
- Coverage is available to all eligible employees who are actively at work*.
- You can buy coverage for your spouse or domestic partner and dependent children.
- There are no health questions to answer. If you apply, you automatically receive the base plan.
- Coverage is portable. You may take the coverage with you if you leave the company or retire without having to answer new health questions. Unum will bill you directly for the same premium amount.
- This plan includes convenient payroll deduction, so you don’t have to remember to write a check for your premiums.
- A Catastrophic Benefit is included with this plan. This pays an additional sum if a covered individual has a serious injury such as loss of sight, hearing or a limb.
* Eligible employees must be actively at work to apply for coverage; read below for more information.
- This information is not intended to be a complete description of the insurance coverage available. The policy or its provisions may vary or be unavailable in some states. The policy has exclusions and limitations, which may affect any benefits payable. For complete details of coverage and availability, please refer to the policy GA-1 or contact your Unum representative.
- Eligible employees must be actively at work when they apply for coverage. Being actively at work means that on the day you apply for coverage, you are working at one of your company’s business locations, or you are working at a location where you are required to represent your company. If you are applying for coverage on a day that is not one of your scheduled workdays, then you will be considered actively at work if you meet this definition as of your last scheduled workday. You are not considered actively at work if you are on a leave of absence.
- Unum complies with state civil union and domestic partner laws when applicable.
- Underwritten by Unum Life Insurance Company of America, Portland, Maine.
- THIS IS A LIMITED POLICY. ©2013 Unum Group. All rights reserved. Unum is a registered trademark and marketing brand of Unum Group and its insuring subsidiaries.