Unum’s group critical illness insurance can help provide financial protection in the event of a covered critical illness1. You may choose a benefit amount from $5,000 to $50,000 in $1,000 increments, and there are family coverage options. Covered critical illnesses and payment percentages include:
- 100% for heart attack, stroke, major organ failure, permanent paralysis2, end-stage renal (kidney) failure, coma as the result of a severe traumatic brain injury, benign brain tumor, blindness and cancer
- 25% for coronary artery bypass surgery and carcinoma in situ
Coverage includes a Wellness Benefit that pays $50 per calendar year per insured individual if a covered health screening test is performed. A full list of covered tests (including blood and stress tests, colonoscopies and chest X-rays) will be provided in your certificate.
If you apply and qualify, your premiums are deducted from your paycheck. Coverage begins on the first of the month in which you have your first payroll deduction for premiums. You own the policy, and if you leave the Company or retire, you can take the policy with you and Unum can bill you directly. You may apply for enrollment or drop coverage at any time.
- Please refer to the policy for complete definitions of covered critical illnesses.
- Covering the permanent paralysis due to a covered accident and continuing for a period of 180 days.
- This is not intended to be a complete description of the insurance coverage available to you. The policy has exclusions and limitations which may affect any benefits payable. For complete details of coverage and availability, please refer to Policy Form: CI-1 and contact your Unum representative.
- In CA, insured individuals must be covered by comprehensive health insurance before applying for group critical illness insurance.
- Benefits will not be paid for a specified critical illness that occurs as a result of: transient ischemic attacks; balloon angioplasty; laser relief or other like procedures; your participating or attempting to participate in an illegal activity; your committing or attempting to commit suicide or injuring yourself intentionally, whether you are sane or not; your practicing for or participating in any semiprofessional or professional competitive athletic contest for which any type of compensation or remuneration is received; or your involvement in any period of armed conflict, even if it is not declared.
- The benefit amounts for employee and spouse reduce by 50% on the first policy anniversary after the insured’s 70th birthday. Premiums for the policy will not be reduced.
- Cancer benefits will not be paid for any of the following: diagnosis of cancer or carcinoma in situ during the waiting period; premalignant condition or conditions with malignant potential; basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma of the skin; or melanoma that is diagnosed as Clark’s Level I or II or Breslow less than .75mm. Diagnosis of cancer and carcinoma in situ must occur 30 days after coverage becomes effective.
- After a policy is issued, you will have a 30-day period during which the policy can be canceled at no cost to you.
- The policy will terminate on the earliest of the following: your written request to terminate the policy, failure to pay the premiums for the policy, subject to the grace period allowed, payment of the available Face Amount as defined in the policy or in any other attached supplementary benefit; your death.
- Unum complies with all state civil union and domestic partner laws when applicable.
- Underwritten by Unum Life Insurance Company of America, Portland, Maine.